Monday, January 15, 2007

1. All This Heavenly Glory

by Elizabeth Crane

First off, I just want to say thanks to those of you who wished me luck with the grad school thing. It was really nice reading your comments and finding that you enjoy this little blog. I hope I can continue with it to some degree of frequency because, honestly, I enjoy writing it too.

Now...to business! My first read of the year can be found over at the GB Book Club page. I wasn't sure what to make of All This Heavenly Glory when I first started reading it, especially since the point of view changed from first person to third person which is something I usually find unncessary and not well done, but Elizabeth Crane did such a good job creating an engaging and interesting character in Charlotte Anne Byers that I could look past that. I really want to read her other book now, which I've seen in used bookstores numerous times. Crane definitely employs a more modern, almost metatextual approach to this fictional memoir (written as a memoir, but is fiction) which, I have to admit, smacks of Dave Eggers, but which I simply enjoyed. I had a really good time reading this, so I hope we have a good time discussing it at our meeting in February.

1 Comments:

Blogger Imani said...

I had about the opposite reaction you did to the first part of the book, probably because I don't mind the switched perspectives. For some reason I didn't even know that Crane had other book/s out. I'll have to look for them.

Visiting you because of Dewey's blogroll game at Hidden Side of a Leaf. :)

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home